Sunday, December 21, 2008
The going has been slow, but I've made some progress with the repairs to the e12. I finished off putting the battery in the boot. It looks quite neat, just needs the spare wheel well cleaned up. I'll get on to that once I've finished the front end.
I removed all the bad paint and surface rust from the front of the car. Turned out to be a much bigger job then expected. Especially when my Dremel died half way through and I had to remove the little fiddly bits of paint by hand! I got the undercoat done last week and got some orange on over the weekend. There's some little tidy up bits to go, but it's looking much better.
Next up is the radiator, windscreen wipers and strut brace. Lucky I've got until Easter!
Sunday, December 07, 2008
- Relocate the battery to the boot (partially complete now)
- Fabricate a front strut brace
- Paint the area in front of the radiator under the bonnet
- Paint the repaired bonnet hinge (it's only been 14 years!)
- Fix the passenger door lock that was broken by an attempted thief (this one's been 11 years)
- Remove the rust from the passenger side rear door
- Cover the holes left by all the speakers that have now been removed
- Remove the rust under the driver's side tail light
- Install larger diameter brake cooling ducts
- Fix the leak in the power steering system
- Paint the windscreen wipers
So far, I've moved the battery to the boot and run the new cable. Very hard to do as it is so thick and didn't want to bend around corners. It all works now and just needs a new earth cable in the boot (mainly because the blue one looks dagy).
I've taken the bonnet hinge off and underneath looks pretty ugly. Not all that rusty, but the paint is shot and needs to come off. The hinge itself should be pretty easy to paint though. It all looks in good nick and just needs a rub back and a new coat.